- Screening: The use of validated procedures to quickly assess patient substance use risk.
- Brief Intervention: A 5-15-minute discussion aiming to increase patient understanding of risks and build towards behavior change.
- Referral to Treatment: Linking appropriate patients to the appropriate level of substance use treatment care needed.
Integrating Behavioral Health with Physical Health to Provide Better Outcomes for our Members:
- Reduced Healthcare costs
- Decrease in percentage of patients who go without substance use treatment
- Decrease in criminal activity
- Improvements in employment and housing
- Improvements in mental health
- **One multi-site study found a ~70% decrease in drug use and ~40% decrease in heavy alcohol use six months following a brief intervention and/or referral to treatment encounter
Providers interested in accessing the Highmark Wholecare SBIRT Billing Guide for more information please visit SBIRT_BillingGuide.pdf (highmarkprc.com) or contact Shannen Lauffer at Slauffer@HighmarkWholecare.com.